The trek to Chomrung, the next day took me through thick pine and bamboo forests. The 9-hour strenuous trek became all the more difficult because of the steps that were 12-to-18 inches high each. Of course, all strain in the Himalayas is worth the pain. This time my fruit was a magnificent glimpse of the Annapurna-Hiunchuli-Fishtail mountain range.
And of course, the Himalayan weather is allowed to change its mood as it very much did the next day. Half way through the day it began to rain. We were told that the path ahead had even heavier rains and that it was snowing Deurali onwards. In fact, a heavy snow fall 3-4 ago was followed by a major avalanche and had made the route to ABC inaccessible. Hoping that the weather would improve and the path would open up, I decided to continue. Just a day away from MBC and ABC, the weather conditions deteriorated further. Heavy snow fall and another dangerous avalanche had blocked the trekking ridges. Those who were stuck on the other side had somehow managed to come back, a few of them limping with ankle and knee injuries. It was anticipated that it would take a few days for the weather to improve.
I had to return. I had a view of the mountains which would have been clearer if the weather cooperated. I could have had an even closer and clearer panoramic view. Anyway, it was a tough trek and in the end I am grateful that my ankles, knees, heart and energy supported me commendably.